Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Stupid Chickens

We bought 103 chicks about seven weeks ago. Lost three the first week. I'm not sure how many are left...maybe 85? Because chickens are stoooopid.

The thing about domesticated animals is that humanity has bred out survival instincts so we can march right up to livestock and chop their heads off. They have no fear. My chickens flutter and squawk around me and it's relatively easy to grab one. Also, easy for the pigs and dogs to grab one.

We've moved the chicken area twice now, but one side of their fence is still shared with our pigs. We chose Durocs as the hog to start with. A duroc is a heritage breed that puts on weight efficiently and tastes great. Heritage breeds are interesting; the wild hasn't been bred out as much as you'd hope...

Our three pigs root under the fence and allow small openings. The little chickies see exposed dirt and HAVE to have it. They pop through the fence and CHOMP! Those unsuspecting birds never knew what hit them. Or maybe they did. Seems to take a pig about fifteen seconds to plow throw the bones and feathers before the squeaking ends.

I really hate this. I will and have brought death and destruction to my own livestock, but I like things in order. This is not my order. I feel that it's also my responsibility to protect my victimy chickens from predators, and I keep trying. But they are stoooopid.

Right now I hate my pigs. Evil pigs. Crunching on my chickies. They are rightfully mine to crunch on. I've told them this. They grunted. I felt demeaned. I told my husband that now, even now, I am plotting their end. I dislike butchering. I feel that I will enjoy it this time. I will start assembling my zombie weapon/pig killing weapons now. ;)

So far I've managed to wire down all the openings so I haven't lost a chicken in a few days. I've decided not to sell half which was my first intention. I will let them fatten up on grass and bugs, wait for the cocks to assert themselves and then fill up my freezer. I also can't wait for eggs. :D



No comments:

Post a Comment